URD Maybe discontinuing this transmission swap kit. Final determination has not been made yet.
We do have bell housings and the release bearing spacers available if you want to order those separately.
The Toyota Tacoma is a fantastic truck!! Although it is a fantastic truck, there is one nagging issue that URD has decided to address so you can have as much fun driving your truck as we have driving ours!!
The stock 6 speed manual found in the 2005 and later Tacoma V6 2×4 has an issue with the syncros limiting how fast you can shift. This can because you to be locked out of gears until the engine speed reduces or the gears can grind like crazy during a fast shift.
The 6 speed manual has been updated a few time since released in 2005, but it seems this nagging problem remains. To solve this issue we have released a swap kit that will allow you to install a Tremec T56 6 speed transmission into your truck.
The T56 transmission is a very popular transmission used in many high performance vehicles, Mustang, Camaro, Viper and now, the Tacoma!! There is nothing like finally being able to snatch and chirp gears like this sport truck should have been able to do from the factory.
The URD T56 Swap kit is designed to use a T56 transmission that was originally used in the 1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro. You may be able to use other versions, but modification to the kit parts may be needed.
- 1x URD 1GR-T56 Cast aluminum adapter bell housing (provisions for manifold brackets included)
- 1x URD Tacoma 2×4 to T56 adapter frame cross member
- 1x Rear transmission mount
- 1x URD Hydraulic line adapter
- 1x URD properly sized release bearing spacer
- 1x Pilot bearing
- 1x AN to release bearing adapter
- 1x Adapter Yoke for propeller shaft
- 1x Vehicle Speed Sensor conversion box (converts signal and adjusts speedo for proper reading)
- 1x Reverse lockout control unit
- 1x Modified reverse light switch
- 9x Bell housing to engine bolts
- 2x Transmission mount bolts
- 2x Cross member to transmission mount bolts
- 2x Release bearing mounting bolts
- 1x Modified hydraulic release bearing
- 1x Installation manual(s)
What is not included:
- Transmission – A specially built transmission can be ordered through URD with carbon fiber syncros and special gear set
- Shifter lever and boot – Many different options here. We recommend going with the MGW short shifter
- Diff gearing – Depending on transmission and gear sets, you may need to regear your rear diff for best result. If you use the URD U-Spec Transmission, you can run the stock diff ratio, but will find 1st and 6th gears to be very tall. For the XRunner a diff ratio of 4.10:1 seems ideal. The URD trans will get you up and running and you can do the diff gear later if needed.
- Clutch – The spline in the stock clutch is not compatible with the T56 transmission. You can order any of the URD branded clutches from URD with a hub splined for the T56.
- Brake fluid – You will need to flush/bleed and refill the brake fluid
- Propeller shaft modification – The stock propeller shaft will need to be shortened 3/8” and the included T56 adapter yoke installed with a new universal joint provided by the drive shaft shop you use.
There are no reviews yet.